Thursday, September 30, 2010

Step 1: Getting started

First off, I would like to apologize for the downtime I've had. I had to take care of a few personal affairs that took priority over my work.
Applying for a job and whatnot.
But now I'll have a bit of time to work on the tool.

I did however have the time to think about "how" I'm going to create this tool.
And I've decided to create the model importer first. It'll allow me to test various models later on, hopefully catching some bugs in the early process.

After I've written the importer , I'll be moving on and start writing a "scene" class that will manage the 3D scene that users get to see when they have imported the model.

I'm not sure about what I'm writing next, the exporter, or the user controls.
Converting the model to voxels would be an obvious choice.

But, I'm not sure if I want the tool to be able to export the models to the maps.
Personally I think it would "break" minecraft, It's still about creating everything with your bare hands.
Merely exporting things into your map isn't creating.

That being said, I'm going to put the exporter into the "maybe" category. I'll write the tool first.

If I write all of the above. I'll have the base of my application.

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment